350g of dark chocolate, broken up
250g unsalted butter diced
295g (1 1/3 cup) caster sugar
100g almond meal
6 whole eggs
Pinch of salt
Cocoa powder, for dusting
Crème fraiche or double cream, to serve
Salt flakes, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease and line the base and collar of a 19cm spring-form cake tin with baking paper.
- Place broken up chocolate and diced butter into the bowl with the kneading blade. Set Speed 3, Temp 85 for 4min to melt the chocolate. Continue in 30 second increments if not fully melted.
- Place all other ingredients in the bowl, in the order they are listed, with the kneading and crushing blade.
- Select pastry program P1. 30 seconds before the program finishes, stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Restart the machine to complete the program.
- Once the program is complete, pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until set. Once cooked, remove from oven and cool completely. The cake will collapse slightly which is completely normal and the nature of this flourless cake.
- Turn the cake out and dust with cocoa powder and a small sprinkle of salt flakes. Serve each portion with a dollop of crème fraiche.
Note: for an extra fudgy texture, when the cake is cool, place in the fridge for two hours before serving.